Yesterday, Rep. Valencia held a press conference for his new income tax reform bill, H6095, which he’s calling the 95/5 Civic Responsibility bill. The 95/5 bill would raise an estimated $130 million in FY2012 and protect our state’s working families from even more painful and irresponsible service cuts. As the Projo reports:
“It asks the most fortunate among us, a mere 5 percent of Rhode Islanders, to chip in a little more,” said Valencia, a Richmond Democrat who has filed a bill that would put the proposed changes into state law. “To date, only the other 95 percent of the people have been required to pay their fair share.”
NOW is the time to let your legislators know about the importance of supporting H6095. Please take a minute to call your state representative and state senator, and then call Speaker Gordon Fox at 401-222-2466 to tell him to include H6095 in this year’s budget!
And if you really care about responsible revenue generation, please join RAFT at our next fair tax canvasses around this bill, this Saturday 11am-2pm and Sunday 12-3pm at 69 Brown Street. RSVP at email@example.com.