Founded in 2005, Rhode Island’s Future is a news website catering to the progressive community in Rhode Island. Our mission is to foster healthy debate and discussion on various important issues facing the Ocean State. These issues include, but are not limited to, the economy, unemployment, job creation, budget and taxation issues, education, labor issues, health care, the environment, election campaigns, housing, criminal justice, reproductive rights, and LGBT issues.
RI Future aims to facilitate the free exchange of ideas in a civil and respectful manner. Each user has a responsibility to this community to conduct themselves appropriately and with decorum.
You can email any questions, suggestions, news stories, or tips to firstname.lastname@example.org.
By registering as a user, you agree to abide by the rules listed below. These rules should be used as a guide for what is acceptable conduct for those using the blog. New users need to be especially cognizant that their behavior will be scrutinized to a greater degree than long-time users who are granted much more leniency. This is due to the nature of online discussion forums, and the never ending revolving door of trolls who come to the blog in order to be abusive and disruptive. That will not be tolerated. Failure to abide by these rules will result in being permanently banned from the site. The motive for these rules is simple; the RI Future community should not have to be babysitters. You’re all adults, so act like it.
- Rule #1, don’t be rude. This should be enough for most people.
- Rule #2, show respect when posting blogs or commenting on another’s posts and comments. There are many people who participate in the discussions, and some have strong beliefs and opinions, and equally strong personalities. Understand that the blog is to be a safe and welcoming place for discussion and debate. The blog exists to be a community of users all sharing their ideas, viewpoints, and concerns. There will inevitably be posts and comments with which you disagree. You are free to debate these issues but you must express yourself in a professional manner. Do not resort to personal attacks or unconstructive, disruptive behavior.
- Rule #3, any threats of violence, however slight, will not be tolerated.
- Rule #4, racist, sexist, homophobic, bigoted, or other hateful language is strictly forbidden.
- Rule #5, no revealing of private information will be tolerated. Some users do not post or comment using their real names for various reasons. Divulging information or publicly speculating about a particular user’s true identity is not allowed.
- Rule #6, if you cannot say something without resorting to derogatory, abusive, or belligerent language, then don’t say it. The blog comments are not to be used as a free-for-all, where the loudest and most abrasive person wins. Do not be belligerent, confrontational, or baiting to begin a “flame war.”
- Rule #7, users are allowed only one username. One user having multiple accounts in order to post under different usernames is forbidden.
- Rule #8, stay on topic. When responding to a diary or another comment, don’t hijack the discussion with random or irrelevant issues. Respond to the topic being discussed, or write your own diary.
- Rule #9, comment ratings are for trolls, and are not to be used against people with opinions you disagree with. They play an important role in the community self-moderating itself. Use the ratings appropriately.
- Rule #10, do not air your dirty laundry on the site.