When I arrived at the Regency Plaza Apartments on Tuesday afternoon, a firefighter told me that the underground explosion that cracked a sidewalk and spewed a yellow cloud into the air was due to an electrical line catching fire. The Providence Journal covered the explosion here, reporting that the Providence Fire Department said the explosion was caused by a gas line, but that later residents received an email saying the explosion was caused by an electrical issue.
Regency Plaza resident Jonathan Pressman was inside the building when he heard a “loud WOOSH” and, “ran to the window, saw a dislodged bit of sidewalk and a rush of green smoke.”
He took this picture with his phone:
The next four pictures were taken by Pressman with a better camera, as emergency crews arrived on scene.
I arrived about an hour later. The fire department had mostly cleared out, with one crew on standby. National Grid repair crews were working and caution tape surrounded the entire area.
One last picture from Jonathan Pressman, from after dark, as repair crews continued to work into the night.