There were two events at the State House today about the Syrian refugee crisis. A group of Democratic lawmakers, faith leaders and former refugees rallied to support the United State’s role in helping refugees of war in the Middle East while a smaller group of Republican legislators and anti-immigration activists spoke against helping the refugees.
To give you an idea of what Rhode Island thinks of these dueling perspectives, note the size of the crowd in the two pictures I took today.
Here is the Democratic rally in favor of helping refugees:
- Cathy Cool Rumsey will run against Elaine Morgan
- Rep. Nardolillo thinks Elaine Morgan owes Muslims an apology
- State senators to hold rally to support Syrian refugees
- Humanists of RI support sheltering Syrian refugees in RI
- Cicilline to Obama: Accept 100,000 Syrian refugees
- Diossa to Obama: Central Falls will take in Syrian refugees
- Dorcas International explains Rhode Island refugee process